Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Some foodie posts

I thought I would share a few of the lunches I have been making, as well as my recipe for potato soup. I am by no means near as good as some of the mothers out there who make Bento lunches for their children, however my goal was to serve my children healthy food options and I am achieving that goal.

SO! Here is a lunch that I told the kids was "Muncher's Delight" LOL!



Cubed Summer sausage and cheese, frozen berries (raspberry, blackberry and blueberry), fresh cut peppers, celery and cucumbers, a smidge of light ranch dressing and a few vanilla wafers. This was a BIG hit.

My kids are pretty good eaters when it comes to vegetables and fruits. Salads are a big hit. I think they are easy to make and easy to pack.



So this is salad with fresh mesclun lettuce, to which I added very finely chopped summer squash, red bell peppers, zucchini, and tomatoes and topped it with cucumbers and mozzarella cheese. (I have a farmer that brings me fresh produce to work on Fridays for $10.00 a box- and I love to use it in their lunches!) I added whole grain wheat thins and grapes. (PS light ranch rides sidecar in a small container. My kids dip their forks into the dressing and then eat the salad!!! :) SAVES CALORIES!)

And this is today's pack for tomorrow's feast. I am actually VERY excited about this... I can only hope that the toothpicks are not construed as weapons. LOL!




to make the wrap, I used a flour tortilla, spread vegetable cream cheese on it, topped that with thinly sliced chicken breast, added some chopped tomatoes and low fat co-jack cheese. I cut that in half for A1 and B. I stuck toothpicks in it to hold it together and topped the picks with black olives. As you can see, this is accompanied by all natural applesauce and a few vanilla wafers. This started as PINWHEELS but for the LIFE of me, I cannot make good pinwheels, so I opted for a wrap. Eh, live and learn! LOL!

Ok potato soup in the next post...

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! You rock, girl. How did you get hooked up with the farmer for produce? I'd love to do something like that, as Wal-Mart's produce isn't all that great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWW THANKS! Actually he came to work and asked if we would entertain being part of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). A LOT of us jumped on board! He doesn't use any herbicides or pesticides. and he charges me $10 bucks for a half-bushel box. A full bushel is $20.00.

    What I like is that I have been able to try new things- I had ground cherries for the first time last year! I didn't know I could use the TOP of a garlic bulb for flavor until he gave me scapes. He's out of Waynesfield, but he runs the Farmer's Market downtown. He gave us the option of either picking up our stuff Thursday or bringing it out to work on Fridays.

    Since we have 8 or 9 people buying produce, he delivers it to us. I will bring you his phone number tomorrow! He also does Herd-share for milk, etc. He and his wife are SO easy to work with! : )

    ReplyDelete