Thursday, November 12, 2009

Post-Op

If you can call it that...

I had my "surgery" yesterday for the pain I have had for 4.5 years that I was sure were adhesions, the surgeon confirmed and we were scheduled to remove the suckers yesterday. Problem is, I have NO adhesions. Not a one. I could have cried when the nurse told me that. I am not crazy, I do not make up this pain and NO pain medications touch it. I am on oxycodone (generic percocet NOT Oxycotin which is more intense) for the incision pain but it isn't touching the rt lower quad pain in my abdomen. He shot an injection in the nerve endings inside of me, but the pain is returning.

here's what angers me, the deal was that if there were no adhesions for whatever reason, my gallbladder was to be removed. It's functioning at 4% and I did get a picture of it and it's inflamed. I am NOT a doctor, but I know it shouldn't look like a mini basketball. so I googled normal gallbladders and inflamed gallbladders.... sure enough mine looks like one that is labled as "inflamed".

When I first began to complain about the pain I went to the OB/GYN who did my last C-section because it seemed to be around ovulation and menstruation times. She diagnosed it as being in my last layer of skin, a large blob of scar tissue. It showed up on my CT scan. So when I asked yesterday if this would be removed, I was told no, that the surgeon would prefer me to be awake while he excises it. It's really rather large, I don't think his reasoning is acceptable to me (he stated he wanted me awake so that I could show him where it was... you can FEEL it). I have a HIGH tolerance for pain- it was confirmed again because I came out of surgery with no need for pain medication and even today, I am not really bothered by the incisions. I am taking the percocet in case I would be, but I am due for a dose now and they are not bothering me in the slightest. a lil tender like if I had cut myself but that's to be expected.

I also had my heart rate dip into the 40's post op and my bp took a dive... but I have low bp and I know following the birth of one of my kids the reading freaked me out (it was like 79/56) but I was told that was really pretty normal when resting (I had been asleep before the started taking it). BUT that was the first time I'd ever heard me having issues like that with anesthesia.

I had HORRIBLE acid reflux post op too. It was making me stop breathing correctly. I took my nexium so who knows... honestly, my gallbladder is probably hindering my digestion (I've been told it is) and I doubt my stomach was totally empty despite the fact that I followed all the rules about fasting.

I am calling my primary care doc this morning to see if I can get in to see him and show him the pictures they took. He believes I am insulin resistant and I think I have some proof for him. I had my last cycle on November 2 and the pictures show I have cysts on my right ovary and it was labeled as "recent ovulation". I am only 10 days past I should not be ovulating and should not have done so previously. Irregular cycles are indicative of insulin resistance so I want him to see these pictures, I also want to take my CD of my CT scan and ask him about the scar tissue in my skin and show him my gallbladder. I am scared of it rupturing. the surgeon in Cincinnati wanted me to wait until Feb for 2 reasons- 1- to make sure he didn't spill toxins from the gb into the wounds from adhesion removal and 2- to check and make sure the adhesions were not returning.

BUT since I really didn't have surgery- it was more like a very pricey camera diagnosis- I really don't see any reason to return to Cincinnati to have the thing removed. It's a long trip and even though I am at the point this year where everything is paid for, that doesn't cover gas costs, eating out, and Bethesda charges for tv in the room. Not to mention all the planning I have to do to make sure my kids are where they need to be when they need to be there. I had these kids, I do not like passing my work off on to anyone else, especially that of taking care of my family. So I am going to ask Dr. Martz for a surgeon here in town that he recommends and to ask if I can have both the GB and the scar tissue removed at the same time.

I can't exercise with it in, it hinders my daily life functions- I can't pick up my kids, can't bend over, can't walk for long distances, can't reach up, can't bathe the youngest two. It's insane. I am 35 years old, I just want my quality of life back.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry things didn't work out like you had hoped ... Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, I'm sorry. I know how frustrated you are. Hang in there and take comfort in the people who love and care about you. xoxoxox
    ~danni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be. I'm definitely praying for you and your family. You guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete